Reading Notes (Week 13): Twenty Jataka Tales: Part B

For my Week 13 reading I have chosen to read 'Twenty Jataka Tales', which will cover both Part A and Part B of my readings for this week.

This particular post will focus on Part B of these stories, which will finish both my readings for Week 13 as well as Twenty Jataka Tales.

One specific story from Part B that I enjoyed reading was The Goblin Town. I was interested in this story mainly because of the odd name. During the first two paragraphs of this story, I was confused on where the Goblins were going to tie into this story because it did not seem to lead up to anything even relative to this. This story was incredibly short and almost somewhat confusing because of this. The first half built up the story to seem as if it was going to be interesting, and then somewhat died off at the end and ended abruptly.

Another story that I wanted to discuss in my blog post was The Great Elephant. This was another story where I loved the illustrations. The story begins with the elephant on his own, and discusses the way he looks and that he is happy. This shifts whenever he hears unknown voices where he lives. I thought it was funny that the elephant teased the humans whenever they approached because he saw them as weak and lesser than him. Which makes sense, as he is enormous and this is where he has always lived.


Elephant
Source: Pixabay
Bibliography: 'Twenty Jataka Tales' written by Noor Inayat (Khan) and illustrated by H. Willebeek Le Mair in 1939

Comments