Reading Notes (Week 13): Twenty Jataka Tales: Part A

For my Week 13 reading I have chosen to read 'Twenty Jataka Tales', which will cover both Part A and Part B of my readings for this week.

This post will focus on my first half of the reading. One of my favorite readings from this section was The Guilty Dogs. This story discussed dogs who lived in a kingdom. I thought this story was funny because these were the 'palace dogs,' which implied that these dogs were royalty. I always enjoy these Jataka Tales because of the way the personify animals. Throughout this story the dogs and people are interacting with each other, as if it is completely normal. Even in the times of trouble, the people speak to the dogs as if they are human.

Another story that I liked from Part A was The Young Parrot. My favorite part of this story was the illustrations. This is one of the first stories/epics that I have read that strictly addresses the illustrator, but I definitely see why Le Mair would want to address that they are the author. I also loved this story because of how descriptive this story is, even though it is quite short. The author is able to find a way to clearly and deeply explain the story in such few words. This was also similar to The Guilty Dogs because of the idea of these animals being royalty. However, these parrots are kings and queens, where the dogs were just 'palace dogs.'


Parrot
Source: Public Domain Pictures

Bibliography: 'Twenty Jataka Tales' written by Noor Inayat (Khan) and illustrated by H. Willebeek Le Mair in 1939



Comments

Post a Comment